Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Seattle-based musician Lerin Herzer stopped by my bedroom during a Northern California tour to perform her song "Made to Move." She had been on tour with Kris Orlowski, from last week's post, both of whom I was lucky enough to spend some quality time with that weekend. Her voice is timeless, and I love her use of nautical imagery in her lyrics. It was an extremely windy day when we recorded, and I am so glad the sound of my windows shaking in the background appear on the recording as well as the cars driving by. Reminds me of MeaningLess Emphasis's show, with the parade in the background. I like when the location appears in these recordings, reminds me that you can enjoy music not just in a vacuum, but with the setting adding something to it too. For more of Lerin's music visit her myspace band page.

Who is your favorite writer/lyricist?
LH: I am really drawn to storytelling in music. So in that regard, I would say my favorite writer and lyricist is probably my dear friend Zach Fleury. He has such a unique and whimsical way of telling beautiful stories in his music, not to mention he is just an incredibly talented soul.

How do you go about writing your music?
LH: My writing process usually entails me sitting on the dryer in the laundry room/basement of my apartment building playing around until something forms. Usually what happens is a story forms in my head and the challenge is fitting the story into song form.

What is one song lyric that you wished you had written?
LH: "It's me and the moon" she said, "and I've got no problem with that-- I am a butterfly--and you wouldn't let me die. It's me and the moon" something corporate
What are all the instruments you play? Why those?
LH: I grew up playing piano, which I would love to be playing more, but I live in a little apartment and my piano wouldn't even fit through the door. Therefore I bought a guitar and have been fiddling around on it since.

Top 5 desert island albums?
LH: Benjamin Button soundtrack by Alexandrew Desplat, Tabarly soundtrack by Yann Tiersen, Bon Iver, Blue Screen Life by Pinback, and Disc 2 of the Henry Mancini compilation my dad owned growing up.

by IMBS



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...