Tuesday, August 9, 2011


Tori Scoville is a San Jose-based musician, networker and MC for two weekly open mic events, one of which won "Best in San Jose." (You can check out the FB for that Open Mic here). Not only am I lucky enough to have such an incredibly accomplishment, beautiful woman come perform, but I am also honored to have her as my sister! I love her facial expression at the end of the video, such a sister face!

Tori's only been playing music for about 2 years, and I can safely say she comes from a family of musical enthusiasts, but none of us are musicians, so she's quite the trail blazer for the Scoville/Buttnys (yes that is our mother's Polish maiden name!). I love the way her voice is developing, and excited to see her continue to grow and hone her craft! If you are in the San Jose area and are looking to get plugged into the scene there, Tori is a GREAT person to know! So go to her two open mic nights and say hi!

Mondays, 6:30pm, Philz Coffee Open Mic
Tuesdays, 7pm, Caffe Trieste Open Mic


What are some of your musical influences?
I do not have a main musical influence because they change frequently. If I had to narrow them down, I would have to say Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Beach House, and the Arcade Fire.

How do you go about writing your music?
In the beginning of writing a song, I start with the instrumental part either with my band mate, Nick Becker, or myself. After the instrumental part is finished, I play the song and sing along completely improvising.  Most of the time I record what I come up with so I can remember some of the lyrics I like.  After that, I write the entire song in my journal because most of my songs have to do with something in my life.

What is the story behind "Day and Night"?
A: This song is about how life can be a bit rocky and on edge, but everyone should look to the brighter side of certain situations.  Mine just happened to be about a special person.

What is the music scene like in San Jose? How is it hosting two open mics nights?
A: The music scene is quite diverse in San Jose, but all the musicians come together to support everyone's music.  Hosting two open mic nights is a wonderful opportunity for artisans in San Jose to come showcase their art.  This definitely brings together a supportive community.  I absolutely love hosting Philz Open Mic Night and the brand new Caffe Frascati's Open Mic Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...