Tuesday, August 30, 2011


I met San Francisco musician Jason Perry Stevens at the Songwriters Collective, and after hearing him perform what was an earlier version of "Brave Ruth," approached him eagerly after the meeting was over to recruit him for this site. His voice is incredibly powerful and hearing him live is even more jarring than how he sounds recorded. I highly recommend you see him perform live. His lyrics are also beautiful, and the lyrics of "Brave Ruth" specifically remind me of John Donne's Holy Sonnet 14.  Something I really appreciated about Jason was when I asked him where he wanted to perform in the room, he didn't do what most musicians do (which is ask me to pick), he immediately requested to put a chair on top of my bed. Finally, someone getting creative (even a little silly, to my delight) with the space!

Right now Jason is recording his first demo, you can hear "Brave Ruth" recorded here. Also, he is looking to play some local venues and events, so if you're interested email him at jasonpstevens@me.com. I encourage you to contact him!

While he was warming up, and I was setting up the camera, he played a cover of Damien Rice's "Delicate." The beginning sounded so good I quietly hit record for the second half of the song, and I'm so glad I did. Enjoy the bonus video of his warm up:


Something special, exciting and new with this blog post is we recorded Jason's interview with two cameras! Taking a turn for the high tech with my flip camera and iphone, I know the wonderful video editor Rob Goc enjoyed having more angles to work with! Enjoy Jason's interview:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...