Tuesday, September 20, 2011


Buddy Ross is the magical musical alias for Josiah Sherman, producer/keyboardist extraordinaire from Seattle. He is also a member of last week's posting band: motopony (which, no surprise, got an amazing amount of hits). He has in the past created beats for hip hop competitions and video games, and has produced several bands, but currently all his creative energy is being poured into motopony. The band is currently on tour, so if you want to see him/them live check out their tour dates here.

Almost a year ago Buddy wrote "Merry Man," you can hear the original version of the track on his myspace page. It's a gorgeous song. I have a not-so-secret love of electronic music, and I so badly wanted Buddy to perform  this song. So after meeting him and the rest of the motopony fellas, I asked him that, the next month when they'd be back to record, that he'd find a way to perform this song in my bedroom. And he shows up at my house with a beautiful antique miniature pump organ! Sadly, I wasn't able to get the organ AND all the motoponies in the shot, so the video does not capture the beautiful old keys, and the ropes that extend below the organ that he has to step on to get sound through. I love that this version of the song was specially designed for IMBS!

Buddy and I have had THE worst interview luck in the history of music interviews. First failed attempt: he and the band crashed at my house when we filmed both the motopony and his videos, and we all went out to drinks after filming, all of us forgetting that he needed his own solo interview. Which resulted in a drunken, recorded therapy session that will never see the light of day. Then I was up in Seattle for labor day weekend and the Bumbershoot music festival, so we spent a day together exploring Capitol Hill and Sodo, and recorded a second interview on the roof of the motopony practice space, with the Seattle skyline in the background. It went great, but I didn't upload it right away. And then my flip camera flew out my 2nd story bedroom window when I was setting up another bedroom show recording. Suffice it to say, I was feeling a little exasperated. He was on tour, and I was in SF. Thankfully we took this opportunity to get creative. So over the course of a day or two, I text interviewed him, which was a lot of fun. I was at a wedding AND interviewing a musician, I was cleaning my room and being a musical journalist! Here are screenshots of our text interview:















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...