Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Jonathan Kirk Moyer and I met at the San Francisco Songwriter's Collective and I immediately loved the unique softness to his music and how it gently commanded the room to quiet down and listen. His lyrics give me nostalgia for memories that surely are not my own. Everything from his voice to the plucking of his guitar reminds me of quiet summer evenings, so very lovely. He also plays bass for two local bands: The Yellow Dress and Adam Balbo.

He just released his first album, self-titled, check it out here! It seriously is so lovely and dreamy. Listen to it with the windows open or down during this San Francisco late summer weather.


How did you start writing music? 
The first band I was in was really supportive in the fact that we all learned how to play our instruments together. After a couple of years, we gained a lot of confidence playing out in the bay area. I learned how to play bass, guitar, and began writing songs in that band. We played together for 8 years. I quickly learned that my voice was way to soft to be the lead singer in a high energy pop band. So I went with my strengths of my voice and began writing music that suited me and soft voice. That was around 2005, but i didn't really start writing a lot until 2008-2009. 


What are some of your muses for the lyrics you write? 
I think I started writing music with the lowest, slowest, and softest sounding bands in mind. Low, the velvet underground, Dean Warham, and Yo La Tengo to name a few. But I have a really hard time ever remembering what people sound like, what lyrics people have in their songs, or what their song titles are even called. I think muses that really inspire me are the nature of the bay area, stories and memories of places I've lived, and the environment. I really try and use what sounds good with my guitar style and voice and create stories and moods. 


I love the soft way you play guitar and sing, have you always played at this volume, or do you have a secret metal past? 
I have a secret bass playing metal band past, but not singing. I've been playing bass in bands since 1997. I was in a few metal, punk, and jazz-punk bands in the late nineties. I do secretly dream of starting a metal band as a side project. 


What is the music community like in San Francisco? 
The music scene in San Francisco is huge. The singer-song writing community at the local open mics are very supportive. At these open mics, they have their own communities of musicians. Often times they mingle and merge. There are also groups of musicians that play the bar and club scenes. Then there's the house show scene, and the jazz scene. The music scene is gigantic. Every genre has it's own little scene somewhere in the city. It is a really supportive and creative city for musicians. 


You just released your first full-length album, how is it going? 
The album is going great! I sold all of my cds. If I wasn't so busy and lazy, I'd get more, and play more shows. But I have one of the most demanding jobs ever (special ed teacher). So i basically have no time for anything other than practicing, going to work, eating, and sleeping. 


What's next for Jonathan Kirk Moyer?
I am thinking of doing some music videos for myself, and the Yellow Dress. I am currently writing songs for my second album as well. Other than that, I have no idea what is going to happen musically to me this year. Hopefully I will have a new album by next summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...