Tuesday, October 4, 2011


Santa Cruz based musician Kevin Tudball was not getting himself to San Francisco fast enough, so our dear friend Brian Jensen suggested that I film him during my month of traveling, one of the stops being in Santa Cruz. I visit SC so often that Brian and his wife Kristin call their guest room Dani's Room. So this seemed an appropriate enough venue to film Kevin's show. Plus there was a bad ass ship painting that I so badly wanted in the frame.

Kevin's sound has been compared to the Boss and Counting Crows, I hear some of that Detroit gravel-y vocals with simple folk guitar sound that Bright Eyes brought into the mainstream. What I love about Kevin's song "New York" is how raw and intimate the lyrics are. About a special moment in the narrator's life that eventually ends, perhaps by the object of his affection. The description of that moment, along with the emotions of abandonment afterwards clears shows the sincerity of Kevin's songwriting.

Plus, as you can see from the interview below, Kevin is just a big ol' sweetheart! If you like what you've heard above, I highly encourage you to check out his bandcamp page and facebook page! And feel free to re-post this posting to your social media of choice!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...